Patterns in nature provide endless opportunities for exploration. They also spark creativity and a chance to apply logic and maths. Learners will have fun exploring and playing with patterns in these activities!
- For younger learners, start by having an adult create a simple pattern similar to the ones above.
- Discuss what makes it a pattern.
- What are the elements that repeat?
- What is the “rule” that describes this pattern?
- How could you continue the pattern?
- What would make it into a new pattern?
- Once you have the idea, try making some of your own, and have someone else describe the “rules”. If this feels easy, try the next challenge, the Pattern Logic game!