WHAT are we doing?
- Providing a physical and online retail store that brings local people and local products together
- Partnering with Mountain Market vendors to increase the amount of local food available in Fernie
WHY are we doing this? What is the purpose?
- To provide Elk Valley residents and visitors with year-round access to local food
- To develop a system that promotes and fosters food security within the Elk Valley
- To provide a low-barrier entry for local producers
WHEN is this happening?
- Community appeal for donations in August 2020
- Outdoor farmers market on Sundays in September 2020
- Store planned to open October 2020
WHERE is this happening?
- The physical storefront will be in the current Wildsight offices at 891 2nd Ave, Fernie
- There will also be a website where people can order online
HOW does it work?
- Vendors will rent retail space, somewhat like an indoor farmers market that vendors do not need to physically attend
- The shop also works as a storage & distribution hub (like a local version of Amazon) for orders placed via the Mountain Market Online platform
- Volunteers staff the store with a paid coordinator position to oversee the operation
How can I help?
- Become a supporter through a monthly donation and help us bring the idea to life
- Tell us of local suppliers you would like to see in the shop
- Tell others about the shop and spread the word
How will I benefit?
- There will be a year-round one-stop shop for all your locally produced food
- You’ll help improve food security within the Elk Valley
How can I get my product in the shop?
- Sign up to be a supplier in the shop
- Load your products onto the Mountain Market Online
How does this help local food producers?
- Year-round, downtown store front access in Fernie to sell your produce – a one-stop shop to access customers within the Elk Valley without having to be there yourself
- Incresed marketing, promotion, an increased customer base and awareness of the benefits of local food
- Support in using online platform
- Participation in meet the producer info and tasting nights.