WHAT are we doing?
- Providing a physical and online retail store that brings local people and local products together
- Partnering with Mountain Market to offer year-round access to local food in Fernie
- Working with local farmers and food producers to increase the amount of local food available in Fernie
WHY are we doing this? What is the purpose?
- To provide Elk Valley residents and visitors with year-round access to local food
- To develop a system that promotes and fosters food security within the Elk Valley
- To provide a low-barrier entry for local producers
WHEN is this happening?
- December 2020 – Store is now open!
WHERE is this happening?
- The physical storefront will be at 632 2nd Ave in Fernie
- There will be a website where you can order online
HOW does it work?
- Vendors can rent retail space, somewhat like an indoor farmers market that vendors do not need to physically attend
- The store will also function as a storage & distribution hub (like a local version of Amazon) for orders placed online
- Volunteers staff the store with a paid coordinator position to oversee the operation
How can I get my local food products in Local?
- 1st – Contact us – email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Robyn at 250.278.6450
- 2nd – Review the Vendor Agreement
- 3rd – Complete your Local Store Registration
- 4th – Pay your fees via e-transfer to email@example.com
- 5th – Load your products online
How does this help local food producers?
- Year-round, downtown storefront in Fernie to sell your produce & products without having to be there
- Access to a wider customer base
- Increased marketing, promotion, and awareness of your local products
- Support in utilizing the online platform
- Participation in ‘meet the producer’ info and tasting nights
- One-stop-shop for Fernie deliveries
- Access to the special events