WHAT are we doing?
- Providing a physical and online retail store that brings local people and local products together
- Partnering with Mountain Market vendors to increase the amount of local food available in Fernie
WHY are we doing this? What is the purpose?
- To provide Elk Valley residents and visitors with year-round access to local food
- To develop a system that promotes and fosters food security within the Elk Valley
- To provide a low-barrier entry for local producers
WHEN is this happening?
- August 2020 – Community appeal for donations
- September 2020 – Mini outdoor farmers markets on Sundays
- October 2020 – Store opens
WHERE is this happening?
- The physical storefront will be in the current Wildsight offices at 891 2nd Ave, Fernie
- There will be a website where people can order online
HOW does it work?
- Vendors can rent retail space, somewhat like an indoor farmers market that vendors do not need to physically attend
- The store will also function as a storage & distribution hub (like a local version of Amazon) for orders placed online
- Volunteers staff the store with a paid coordinator position to oversee the operation
How can I get my local food products in Local?
- 1st – Contact us – email email@example.com or call Robyn at 250.278.6450
- 2nd – Review the Vendor Agreement
- 3rd – Complete your Local Store Registration
- 4th – Pay your fees via e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5th – Load your products online
How does this help local food producers?
- Year-round, downtown storefront in Fernie to sell your produce & products without having to be there
- Access to a wider customer base
- Increased marketing, promotion, and awareness of your local products
- Support in utilizing the online platform
- Participation in ‘meet the producer’ info and tasting nights
- One-stop-shop for Fernie deliveries
- Access to the special events