2020 Food Sustainability Assistant (Summer Student)
Are you passionate about environmental sustainability and food security? Are you a full-time student looking for summer work in your field until studies commence in the fall? The Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook Branch is currently looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic individual to serve as our Food Sustainability Assistant for the summer season.
The Food Sustainability Assistant will work under the supervision of the Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook Branch Manager, with guidance provided by project contractors. In this role, you will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate activities at and related to the Kimberley Community Garden (formerly Open Gate Garden):
- Maintain a routine presence at the garden through a regular weekly schedule;
- Engage volunteers registered in the Wildsight database;
- Facilitate tours for school groups, community groups and the public as requested
- Plan and deliver volunteer work-bees throughout the season;
- Plan and deliver hands-on workshops throughout the season;
- Enhance the understanding of food production, preservation, harvesting and seed saving techniques;
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the garden as needed.
Assist with Kimberley Farmers’ Market tasks:
Liaise with market vendors and downtown Kimberley businesses;
Assist with market promotions and operations;
Assist with the delivery of the Kimberley Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program;
Represent Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook and Food Sustainability Initiatives at the Market.
Assist with Apple Capture project tasks:
Liaise with fruit tree owners, project volunteers and partner organizations;
Assist in the maintenance of harvesting and processing equipment;
Assist in the development and maintenance of the Tree Share Board;
Assist in the coordination of project-related volunteer activities and public Pick & Press events as needed.
Assist the Branch Manager with various tasks associated with the operation of Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook:
Assist with marketing/outreach using educational displays and interactive activities for community events;
Attend Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook monthly board meetings.
The anticipated start for this position is mid-May, running for approximately 12 weeks at 32 hours/week. Wage $16-$17/hour based on experience. Hours, duration and wages for this position are all subject to available funding. Applications are to be sent via email to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday, April 17th.
- Post-secondary study in a related field;
- Demonstrated knowledge of local food security;
- Demonstrated capacity for self-directed and unsupervised work;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of different people;
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
- Must be a current post-secondary student returning to full-time studies in the Fall
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
ABOUT WILDSIGHT KIMBERLEY CRANBROOK
Our Branch Mission:
The Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook Branch empowers environmentally responsible citizenry and supports conscious local economy. It provides consistent and ongoing leadership by engaging and listening to the concerns of the community, then responding with care, insight and innovation. The branch develops local programs, projects, events and campaigns that support ecological literacy and community action.
ABOUT OUR FOOD SUSTAINABILITY PROGRAMS
Here at Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook, we believe Food Literacy is Ecological Literacy. We believe in the power of experiencing locally grown food first hand, and in the importance of side-by-side, hands-on learning to the development of practical skills.
The Kimberley Community Garden is a hub: a central outdoor gathering space that welcomes and demonstrates innovative methods for gardening in our mountain climate. At the garden, Kimberley youth have the opportunity to experience and appreciate garden-fresh produce, and make lasting connections with where their food comes from. With mentorship from local gardeners and food-gardening rock stars, the Garden is a learning grounds for residents new to cold-climate growing. By maintaining a routine and inviting presence in the Garden, Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook makes local food accessible to all members of the community regardless of age, abilities or class.
The Kimberley Farmers’ Market is a venue for small scale farmers and specialty food producers to market their wares, and to nourish community through a vibrant and inclusive market place. The Market provides Kimberley and area residents with direct access to locally harvested, sustainably grown food. In the last two seasons, Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook has supported low-income families through the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program.
The Apple Capture Project is here to help residents keep up with their fruit harvest or to share it with someone who can use it. The program includes harvesting and processing equipment that is free for booking, and a tree share board where residents can post information on locally available fruit trees. Together, we can turn a wildlife attractant into a locally sourced, nutritious food.
Let your creativity flow!
If the above posting doesn’t quite suit you, remember we are always open to new concepts! If you have a stellar project idea, and the passion to pull it off, please contact us at 250-427-2535 or firstname.lastname@example.org.