Camp Odyssey Summer Camp 2021 has not yet opened for registrations. Please check back in June.
Camp Odyssey offers week long day camps in July and August. Camps run for two weeks in Kimberley, and one week in Cranbrook! How do you know the camp is right for your child? If you answer YES to the following 3 questions then we think your child has what it takes to become a Camp Odyssey Kid!
- Is your child between 7 and 12 years of age?
- Are you looking for a meaningful day camp experience with qualified environmental educators Ms Kim and Batty Patty?
- Do you think your child will love being outside and engaged with the world around them?
Your child will be outdoors the entire day, much of that time on the move exploring. Hiking and nature exploration is the focus of this camp, but there will be plenty of time for free play and creativity. Activities may include gardening, wilderness survival skills, forts, splash park (Kimberley only), crafts, and games!
This camp is a great fit if your child is comfortable walking 2-6 hrs (approx. 2-6km) throughout the day and using or learning to use bush bathrooms. Indoor washroom facilities may not be available every day, though an indoor space will be a backup for inclement weather.
Kimberley: Stay tuned for dates
Camp Odyssey is based out of Kimberley Independent School (KIS) for two weeks in 2021. Campers will spend time in the Kimberley Nature Park, Kimberley Community Garden, and along Rails to Trails. Each Day begins at KIS and ends at the Kimberley Splash Park (Rotary Park). Full week and daily registrations are available now.
Cranbrook: Stay tuned for dates
Camp Odyssey is based out of St. Mary’s Catholic Independent School for one week in 2021.Camp will primarily be in and around Kinsmen Park, with one longer excursion into the Cranbrook Community Forest on Wednesday (weather depending). Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday both pick up and drop off will be at St. Mary’s, but on Wednesday, pick up will be at the Cranbrook Community Forest (Weather depending – exact location will be confirmed to registered participants before camp begins). Full week and daily registrations are available now.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW:
$255 for full week registrations
$55 per day for individual day registrations
Full payment required at time of booking. Cancellations Policy: full refund is available if cancellation is requested with 7 or more days notice. No refund will be issued for cancellations 6 days or less in advance of the Monday of the camp week booked.
- Camp runs from 9am – 3:30pm
- No before or after school care available
- In Kimberley:
Drop off from 8:45am – 9am at the Kimberley Independent School (73 101 Ave, Kimberley, BC V1A 1A5)
- Pick up from 3:15pm – 3:30pm at the Kimberley Splash Park on Rotary Drive
- In Cranbrook:
- Drop off from 8:45am – 9am at St. Mary’s Catholic Independent School (1701 5 St S, Cranbrook BC V1C 1K1)
- Pick up from 3:15pm – 3:30pm at St. Mary’s Catholic Independent School (1701 5 St S, Cranbrook BC V1C 1K1) on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Pick up on Wednesday will be from 3:15-3:30 at the Cranbrook Community Forest. Exact location will be confirmed by email the week of.
Children must come prepared with:
- Sturdy outside shoes or boots
- Jacket and pants appropriate for walking, running and sitting outdoors in all types of weather
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and mosquito repellent
- 2 snacks that are easy to eat outside (all garbage must be carried out)
- Lunch that is easy to eat outside (all garbage must be carried out)
- Water and/or juice in a non-breakable container (enough to last all day – refill stations will not be available)
Registration for 2021 camps opens in June and is on a first come, first served basis with limited spaces available. To secure your child’s spot, registrations must be completed along with payment.
“Please download and complete one registration form per child. Email completed registration form(s) to email@example.com, and send payment by E-Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Odyssey will be adhering to the health and safety guidelines from the Province of British Columbia and WorkSafeBC, including:
Daily health checks for everyone at drop off (participants and staff). Participants and staff are to stay home if they have cold or flu symptoms, no exceptions
- Maintaining physical distancing and avoiding contact activities (eg. Tag games)
- Additional hand washing and sanitizing routines
- Please note, this is subject to change accordingly.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What exactly is a “Day Camp”? Answer: A day camp runs each day with set drop off and pick up times at a pre-determined location. The child does not stay overnight, and as such goes home at each day’s conclusion. Camp Odyssey drop off times are between 8:45am and 9am and pick up is between 3:15pm and 3:30pm.
- How many kids do you need to run Camp Odyssey? Answer: In order to cover costs and make this the best possible experience for your children, we need a minimum 10 registrations for each day the camp runs. If we are unable to secure the minimum necessary we will be contacting registrants and providing a full refund by 6 days before camp runs.
- What happens if it rains? Answer: We will play in the rain! Camp Odyssey will run rain or shine. In the case of inclement weather, a backup indoor space will be available, but it is our priority to be outdoors and appreciate all conditions. Please check the forecast and send your child with appropriate clothing and footwear. Extra socks and gloves/mitts are always a good idea, even in the summer.
- Who will be leading my children? Can I trust them? Answer: We are lucky to have two experienced Environmental Educators Kim Urbaniak (Ms Kim) and Patty Kolesnichenko (Batty Patty), leading camp activities, with 25 years combined experience. These educators have current Criminal Record Checks in good standing, valid First Aid Certifications, access to a cell phone and all necessary emergency numbers.
To the City of Kimberley and the Columbia Basin Trust for funding support in 2021. Also thanks to the Kimberley Independent School and St. Mary’s Catholic Independent School for the use of their facilities for camps!