Are you passionate about the role farmers’ markets play in local food sustainability? Do you have event planning/market experience and are looking for a part time opportunity that allows flexible hours? The Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook Branch is currently seeking a dynamic and organized individual who is excited to run our Thursday evening Market in downtown Kimberley.
The Kimberley Farmers’ Market Coordinator is responsible for the successful operation of the Kimberley Farmers’ Market. This is a part-time permanent contract position, which can be based from a home office and/or situated in our 1650 Warren office space. Most of the work occurs between March and November – approximately 300 hours per year, with an average 15hrs/week between June and October. It is expected that the Coordinator will be on site on all Thursday Market Days and other hours are flexible, as required to accomplish the required tasks in a timely manner. The anticipated start date is March 4, 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Market Operations Management – Coordinates and oversees the operations of markets – currently operating from late June to late September. This includes, but is not limited to:
- working independently and as part of a team of staff, summer student and volunteers,
- assignment of stall locations,
- overseeing/ensuring the logistics of setup/take down,
- management of market volunteers and Wildsight summer student,
- interfacing with the public and vendors,
- resolution of conflicts or problems that may arise,
- collection, control and documentation of vending fees,
- managing vendor reimbursements, reconciliation of cash and coupons, returning and reporting for the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program.
2) Vendor Relations – Develops and manages relationships with vendors:
- Establish working hours to ensure timely communications (e-mail, telephone, newsletters and in-person) and resolution of issues.
- Monitor vendor operations and ensure compliance to Market Rules and Interior Health Guidelines, BC Liquor Licensing, and other governing agencies where applicable.
- Work to recruit vendors as needed, and monitor quality of products and presentation.
- Provide orientation and tips to new vendors and offer ongoing support/communication to help ensure vendors’ success.
3) Market Customer Relations – Interacts with the public at the markets:
- Monitor and ensures the market’s attractiveness, safety, and appeal.
- Develop recommendations to enhance/improve the markets and promotes the Kimberley Farmers’ Market in a positive, professional manner.
- Model and promote collaborative and respectful communications and relationships.
4) Volunteer Management – Market Coordinator works with existing volunteers, recruits when necessary and provides initial training and ongoing direction/training
5) Market Promotions – Oversees all advertising and promotion of the market through traditional and social media, including paid ads, news releases, posters, website and social media upkeep, signage, banners, etc.
Liaise and coordinate with the Kimberley Farmers’ Market Advisory Group and Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook in the following capacity:
- Planning – Works with and provides input to the Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook Branch Manager in the development of business plans and work priorities. Keeps the Wildsight Kim/Cran Board informed regarding the status of the market and progress toward established goals.
- Financial Planning & Management – Works with and provides input to the Branch Manager/Treasurer in annual budget development. Monitors and controls the budget for market, manages resources within the constraints of the budget and long-range business plans and ensures compliance with financial controls.
- Advisory group subcommittees – Works with subcommittees as needed (Policy, marketing, finance, vendor selection, etc.).
- Stakeholders – liaises with different stakeholders (eg. City of Kimberley, Interior Health Authority, Downtown/Howard Street Businesses, Chamber of Commerce, BC Farmers’ Market Association, Cranbrook Community Connections (Bellies to Babies for Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program, etc.).
- Other Duties – Performs other duties as assigned by the Branch Manager.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion for local food/food sustainability and farmers’ markets.
- Incredible self-motivation, organization, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- A strong ability to develop team relationships.
- Impeccable customer service skills.
- Proficient computer and social media/marketing skills.
- A strong community connection.
- Post-Secondary education and/or relevant experience in a related field such as Business/Marketing, Community Development, Sustainable Food Systems, Management, and Event Planning.
- Education or experience in personnel management, budget responsibility, operations management, working with multiple stakeholder groups, working with the public, and experience in retail and/or other customer service.
- Experience running, vending, or volunteering at farmers’ markets.
- Availability to work every Thursday during market season,
- Current minimum Occupational First Aid Level 1 certification or commitment to be certified,
- Access to a computer and internet,
- Current valid driver’s licence and access to a personal vehicle.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Andrea Chapman by email at email@example.com. Applications must be received prior to Monday, February 11, at 9am. Those candidates invited to an interview will be contacted by Friday, February 22. We thank all applicants for their time and interest.
ABOUT THE KIMBERLEY FARMERS’ MARKET
The Kimberley Farmers’ Market is a venue for small scale farmers, specialty food and beverage producers, artisans and food concessionaires, to market their wares, and to nourish community through a vibrant and inclusive market place. The Market provides Kimberley and area residents with direct access to locally harvested, sustainably grown food. The Market continues to support low-income families through the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program.
Header Photo: Sonja Seher