Are you a youth who’s curious about environmental sustainability, food security, and community building? If you said “YES!” and are between the ages of 16 and 30, the Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook Branch has a summer job just for you!
We are currently seeking a self-motivated/enthusiastic individual to serve as our Program Assistant for the summer season – 8 weeks minimum, full-time employment with a flexible start and end date. Perhaps you are a high school student looking for an enriching summer job? Or a youth looking for an opportunity that can support your summer adventures? The ideal candidate would enjoy taking part in a diverse range of community projects while working alongside the Wildsight team of staff, contractors, and volunteers mainly in outdoor, get-your-hands-dirty-style settings.
Applications will be accepted until 10:00 am on Tuesday, March 12, 2024.
Applications are to be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Program Assistant will become part of the Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook team and work toward our organization’s goals. By utilizing hands-on training and weekly check-ins, the successful candidate will work closely with the Branch Manager and key Program Coordinators to complete tasks essential to the function of the:
Kimberley Community Garden
Assist the Sustainability Coordinator with planning, maintenance, and educational outreach within the garden (free for the public to use and harvest from) by:
- Maintaining a routine presence at the garden through a regular weekly schedule.
- Distributing posters that invite visitors and volunteers to engage in the garden.
- Facilitating tours for school groups, community groups, and the public as requested.
- Planning and delivering work bees/workshops throughout the season.
- Development and maintenance of the garden as needed, including garden expansion plans.
- Maintaining clear and consistent communication with the public, volunteers, staff, and contractors regarding all major garden activities.
Assist the Sustainability Coordinator with implementing this project by:
- Communicating with backyard owners, project volunteers, and partner organizations.
- Developing and maintaining gardens, including raised bed preparation, care, and harvesting.
- Delivering harvested produce to the Kimberley Food Recovery Depot
Kimberley Farmers’ Market
Assist the Market Coordinator with implementing this successful and important addition to the economic, social, and cultural fabric of Kimberley by:
- Leading set up/take down of the market and outreach booth along with dedicated volunteers.
- Assisting with market promotions and operations
- Delivering the Kimberley Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program by aiding in vendor relations and reimbursements related to the program.
- Representing Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook at the weekly outreach booth by educating patrons about the organization and projects.
- Assist with additional Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook projects as needed, including administration, coordination of tasks, maintenance, volunteer support, outreach, and communications.
- Opportunity to create and implement a new project alongside team members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local food security;
- Demonstrated capacity for self-directed and unsupervised work;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of different ages and backgrounds;
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends when necessary;
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle for some tasks;
- Possession, or willingness to enroll in a minimum OFA Level 1 first aid course;
- Must be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
This staff position is anticipated to start on May 6 for 35 hours/week concluding by August 31, 2024. While many of the regular tasks will be carried out in Kimberley, we do encourage those from Cranbrook (and other local communities) to apply. The starting wage is $19.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 10:00 am on Tuesday, March 12, 2024 to be considered.