Position: Retail Coordinators – Local Store
Deadline to apply: January 22nd, 2024
Scope: Part-time. Flexible. 8-20 hours/week
Number of positions: Two
Start Date: February 2023
Location: Fernie, BC
NOTE: YOU MUST CURRENTLY LIVE IN OR NEAR FERNIE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION. YOU MUST BE COMMITTED TO THE COMMUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED.
Local is a community-powered local food store and social enterprise operated by Wildsight Elk Valley. We aim to support the local food system through the development of a low-barrier model of food access that supports local farmers and sustainable producers to get their product to market. The Branch’s mission as a non-profit is to cultivate a thriving, knowledgeable, and resilient local food culture in the Elk Valley.
The Retail Coordinator position is responsible for maintaining the daily operations of the Local store, and reports to the Local Store Manager As the main sales associate, the Retail Coordinator is the face of the store and provides exemplary customer service. They support the Store Manager in placing orders, restocking, receiving deliveries and processing new inventory. This position also plays a role in managing Local’s volunteer team, including initial training, supporting volunteers during retail shifts, and promoting the volunteer program.
- Daily store operations – coordinate retail store tasks four days per week including opening/closing, cleaning, temperature checks, vendor updates, and processing end-of-day reports
- Customer service – Answer customer questions about Local products and vendors, and about other Wildsight Elk Valley programs, maintain a high level of product knowledge, embody and promote a culture of high-quality customer service
- Stock store – Keep the store shelves stocked, clean, and looking appealing to customers, refill fridges and freezers when necessary.
- Manage inventory – Ensure proper rotation of items and track best before dates, receive and process daily deliveries, maintain overstock storage areas, track spoilage
- Teamwork – Provide support and input on weekly orders to Store Manager collaborate to ensure smooth operations and store growth, attend weekly staff meetings
Volunteer Coordination responsibilities:
- Promotion – promote volunteering opportunities and actively recruit new volunteers
- Onboarding – onboard volunteers, including use of Basecamp shift booking platform
- Training – train new volunteers using existing training program materials, track progress and promote learning by helping volunteers grow their skills
- Support – support Local volunteers with scheduling shifts, answering questions and during retail shifts
- Development – update Local volunteer training materials as needed
- Must be friendly, approachable, and passionate about food sustainability
- Customer service driven with relevant experience an asset
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow applicable laws and requirements relating to food safety
- Ability to work weekdays and Saturdays
- Flexible schedule
- Health spending account available after one year of employment
How to Apply
Wildsight is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our hiring processes and work environment and we encourage women, people of colour, people of indigenous ancestry and LGBTQ2+ individuals to apply for this position.
Deadline to apply is January 22nd, 2024. We will respond via email to all applicants by Janurary 24th, 2024
Please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) and cover letter (maximum 1 page) to email@example.com
The Elk Valley Branch of Wildsight is an BC registered non-profit organization, governed by an engaged Board of Directors and supported by active members and volunteers. Our work aims to promote environmental stewardship and conservation in our community.
Food security, access to locally produced food and food-growing space are priorities for the Elk Valley Branch. Our passionate volunteers built and managed the Community EcoGarden, the Cold Climate Seed Library, ToolShare, and recently launched a social enterprise store, Local, which aims to support community-powered food. The Fernie Container Farm will be operated as a social enterprise. We work together with Wildsight Regional and the five other Wildsight branches.
Wildsight’s vision is to inspire a shared community desire to protect our natural world for future generations. We envision extensive and connected wild spaces for wildlife—from grizzly bears to woodpeckers to trout. We envision clean air and clear water running from mountain watersheds to our lakes. We see thriving and sustainable communities made up of engaged and educated citizens.