Wildsight is seeking a Finance and Administration Manager to join our team. This position is a key member of the senior management team, working closely with the Executive Director, Program Managers, and Board of Directors to ensure the fiscal integrity of the organization. Core responsibilities include organizational budgeting and forecasting, financial reporting, strategy and decision making, and human resources policy and implementation.
Wildsight is an environmental charity with a mission to protect wilderness, wildlife and clean water, inspire the next generation and encourage sustainable communities in the Columbia Basin region of BC. Our vision is to inspire a shared community desire to protect the natural world for future generations. With 35 years of experience, we are recognized as a leader in large-scale conservation, sustainable community initiatives and environmental education. We work closely with our network of six local Wildsight branches.
Our core team is made up of 16 passionate, dedicated and knowledgeable individuals who inspire each other daily through our commitment to making change and protecting nature. We were doing virtual work long before Covid. While our headquarters are located in Kimberley, as our team is located throughout the Basin.
About the Position
This is a full-time permanent position, with a range of 0.8-1.0 FTE. The ideal start date for this position is mid-June, but we are willing to be flexible for the right candidate.
The ideal candidate will be based in or willing to relocate to Kimberley, BC and be based out of our headquarters there. We are willing to consider alternate arrangements with the successful candidate, but there would be a requirement to travel to the headquarters with some frequency. Kimberley was recently voted BC’s Best Small Town; nestled between the Purcell and Rocky Mountains and with a population of 7500, Kimberley is a unique community with many opportunities for nature-based recreation. Located 30 minutes from Cranbrook, the full range of amenities are easily accessible.
Wages and Benefits
$55,000 to $64,350, commensurate with experience
Wildsight has a competitive vacation policy, offering 5 weeks of paid vacation to support our team’s mental health and connection to the landscapes we are working so hard to protect. We also offer a Private Health Services Plan.
- You are superbly organized and enjoy working on administrative policy, risk management, and human resource issues.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and work well with small teams.
- You have a keen eye for finance.
- You have knowledge of accounting, administration, bookkeeping, auditing, internal controls, and payroll best practices.
- You have excellent communication skills and enjoy communicating financial data and administrative reports to non financially minded people and teams.
- You have a minimum of 3+ years of previous experience in a finance, accounting, or business administration related role; non-profit experience is a huge asset.
- You have a post secondary education in finance, accounting, or business management.
- You hold a strong conservation ethic and are passionate about environmental issues.
- You understand computerized accounting systems like Quickbooks and are comfortable with technology.
- You are patient and calm in the face of finance and management issues.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with Program Managers to develop program and organizational budgets and forecasts.
- Provide fiscal guidance to the senior management team.
- Lead the annual external auditing process.
- Provide financial input on funding applications.
- Manage the grant tracking system.
- Manage bookkeeping, including bank and credit card reconciliations.
- Oversee cash flow, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Write contracts and employee agreements for staff and contractors.
- Present Board of Directors with quarterly financial reports.
- Manage payroll.
- Ensure compliance with all legislation covering tax and withholding payments.
- Manage reporting requirements between Wildsight Branches and Wildsight Regional (contracts for service, agency agreements, and annual reporting).
- Draft and implement human resource policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to senior management as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials.
- Ensure the Board of Directors, staff, and contractors carry appropriate and adequate insurance coverage; ensure conditions and limitations of insurance coverage are understood by team members.
- Manage processing of charitable donations and receipting.
- Respond to and/or redirect email and phone inquiries.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Bryan Duffett, Director of Finance and Administration, admin(at)wildsight.ca. Tell us why this job excites you, what you will bring to it and why you are the best candidate for the job. Wildsight is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our hiring processes and work environment and we encourage women, people of colour, people of Indigenous ancestry and LGBTQ2+ individuals to apply for this position. The position will remain open until filled, but the first round of interviews is targeted for early-mid June. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, we will only contact those selected for an interview.