Applications have closed for this position.
Wildsight is a registered charity with a mission to protect biodiversity and encourage sustainable communities in the Kootenay-Columbia region of BC. Our vision is to inspire a shared community desire to protect our natural world for future generations. We envision extensive and connected wild spaces for wildlife—from grizzly bears to woodpeckers to trout. We envision clean and clear water running from mountain watersheds to our lakes. We see thriving and sustainable communities made up of engaged and educated citizens. With more than 30 years of experience, we are recognized as a leader in large-scale conservation, sustainable community initiatives and environmental education. We work closely with our network of 6 local Wildsight branches.
About the Position
The Communications and Engagement Lead is responsible for leading our communications, engagement and philanthropy strategies. You are a strategic thinker and passionate about driving engagement and have demonstrated experience in planning and executing engagement strategies. You are passionate about storytelling and will have a proven ability to communicate with different audiences. You will work closely with the communications, campaign and fundraising teams to develop and execute our communications strategies and will deepen our digital campaign strategies. You will be excited about using metrics to measure success and adapting approaches accordingly. You will join a team that is passionate about nature, dedicated to making positive change and committed to learning and adapting our tactics and strategies.
The start date for this position is September 2021; alternate dates will be considered for the right candidate.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Developing and carrying out our strategic engagement plans, measuring and reporting on their success
- Working collaboratively with campaign staff to develop and implement campaign strategy, with a focus on digital engagement
- Working collaboratively to develop and carry out our fundraising engagement strategy, including writing donor-centric copy for donor communications
- Developing media relationships, pitching stories and writing press releases, editorials and opinion pieces
- Developing fresh content for the website that supports our organizational goals
Remuneration and Working Conditions
This is a 0.8-1.0 FTE position, with a pay range of $40,314-$59,713, depending on experience and FTE. We review all salaries annually for cost of living adjustments. We offer a Private Health Services Plan and a generous vacation allowance of 5 weeks annually, and support professional development and training opportunities. Preference will be given to candidates based in or willing to relocate to the Kootenay region, although we will consider working remotely from other locations in BC for the right candidate. Office space can be provided in our Kimberley, BC office. Wildsight is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our hiring processes and work environment and we encourage women, people of colour, people of indigenous ancestry and LGBTQ2 individuals to apply for this position.
What you bring:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field
- Experience in developing engagement or fundraising strategy
- Demonstrated ability to write clean and clear prose in different voices for a variety of audiences
- A passion for storytelling and a keen eye for editing
- Self-motivated and independent with a demonstrated ability to collaborate well within a team
- Social media experience for business or non-profit
- A desire to continually learn by testing, measuring and adapting
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take and incorporate feedback
- Commitment to Wildsight’s mission
It would be great if you had:
- Experience in the non-profit or advocacy sector
- Knowledge of environmental issues in British Columbia, specifically in the Kootenay region
- Experience working with a CRM database
- Experience with a CMS platform such as WordPress
- Proficiency using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Fundraising experience including major gifts and monthly giving programs
Applicants are asked to send a cover letter, CV and a sample of their work they are proud of, or that is directly relevant to the job you are applying for. Examples include a writing sample, a campaign plan, a set of engagement ads, a fundraising appeal or other. Please submit your application in one PDF to robyn(at)wildsight.ca by August 15, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.