Do you love physical outdoor work, have a passion for the environment and have good communication skills? Wildsight Golden is seeking one qualified person to coordinate ‘Golden’s Community Invasive Plant Program’ and to develop and deliver public education on invasive plants. This program is jointly supported by Wildsight Golden and the Town of Golden.
JOB TITLE: Invasive Plant Program Coordinator
TERM: 13-week contract position from May 17-August 13, 2021
JOB DESCRIPTION: The majority of time (~65%) will be spent hand pulling invasive plants that have been identified at pre-determined sites throughout the Town of Golden. The level of outreach work (as listed below) will vary with the Covid-19 situation. Other job duties include, but are not limited to:
- attending the Golden Farmers’ Market once/month throughout the summer to host Wildsight Golden’s educational table, to answer questions and provide advice and information regarding invasive plants in the Golden area.
- developing content for social media posts, including short videos on the management of ‘weeds of the week.’
- develop a short, entertaining interpretive program to deliver during 3-5 summer camp days with children (in July/August).
- organize and host two Community Weed Pull events in Golden, working with local stakeholder groups.-complete site visits with property owners who would like to have invasive plants identified on their private property.
- assist community members with the identification of invasive plants and making suggestions for non-toxic management activities to remove invasive plants
- assisting with bioagent releases and installing restoration and biocontrol signs at active locations.
- biocontrol monitoring.
- ongoing coordination with Columbia Shuswap Invasive Species Society (CSISS).
- data entry using online IAPP database (training will be provided).
- creating a Final Report at the end of the 2021 program.
QUALIFICATIONS: Hard-working, reliable, outgoing, creative, self-motivated, good communication skills, and physically fit as removal of invasive plants is physically demanding.
ASSETS: Degree, diploma, or enrolment in environmental studies or biology program. Experience in plant identification, environmental education and data entry. Training and guidance will be provided, but experience with invasive plants and/or public education, as well as knowledge of local ecosystems, is highly desired.
FURTHER DETAILS:FURTHER DETAILS: The position is located in beautiful Golden, BC and runs from May 17th until August 13th, 2021. The position is 13 weeks, 30 hrs/week at $20/hr. For questions or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is April 23th at noon.