This position has been filled.
Are you passionate about wildlife and wild places?
We are seeking a student Communications and Engagement Intern to join our team for the summer. An ideal position for a returning university student, this job will provide opportunities to enhance communications and community engagement skills while contributing to local conservation efforts. The intern will work closely with our communications and engagement team to build momentum for environmental conservation in the East Kootenay region. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator, enjoys interacting with the public, has a knowledge of local conservation issues and has a passion for wild places and sustainable communities.
A significant part of the work will be community engagement—connecting people’s values to environmental issues and inspiring them to take action. On the ground public engagement will take place at community events and festivals, such as farmers’ markets, music festivals and community celebration days.
The position will also involve writing and other communications tasks, focused on digital media (social media, email communications and website) and traditional media (press releases), with the possibility of some grant writing. It will also involve learning about and working with our CRM database, with tasks including data entry and contact management and other tasks related to fundraising and event organization.
Start Date: May 14, 2018 or later
End Date: August 17, 2018
Wage: $14-16/hour, commensurate with experience, 30 hours per week
Location: Kimberley, BC
Requirements and Skills:
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Enjoys interacting with the public and demonstrated ability to connect with a variety of different people
- A passion for wild places and sustainable communities
- Knowledge of local conservation issues
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the Kootenay region, including some weekend and evenings
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed)
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Experience using multiple social media channels for an organization or business is a strong asset
- Knowledge of WordPress and design software is an asset
- Previous experience working with a CRM (constituent relationship management) database is an asset
- Candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Candidates must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Candidates must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
To Apply: Please send your application including a cover letter, resume and writing sample (1-3 pages) all in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14, 2018.