Are you passionate about environmental sustainability and food security? If you are between the ages of 16 and 30 and looking for summer employment, the Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook Branch wants to hear from you!
We are currently looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic individual to serve as our Sustainability Assistant for the summer season (May-August, potential 16-week contract dependent on funding). The ideal candidate enjoys taking part in a diverse range of community projects, wearing many hats, and working alongside others in outdoor settings.
Applications are due by Monday, April 4, 2022. Read on to learn more about this opportunity.
The Sustainability Assistant will become part of the Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook team and work toward the common goals of the organization. Key responsibilities will include assisting the Sustainability Coordinator, Market Manager, Branch Manager, and Communications & Fundraising Coordinator with tasks essential to the function of:
KIMBERLEY COMMUNITY GARDEN
Work with the Sustainability Coordinator on planning, maintenance, and educational outreach within the garden (free for the public to use and harvest from) by:
- Maintaining a routine presence at the garden through a regular weekly schedule.
- Engaging volunteers registered in the Wildsight database via check in’s and planned activities.
- Distributing posters that invite locals to visit and volunteer in the garden and attend workshops.
- Facilitating tours for school groups, community groups and the public as requested.
- Planning and delivering volunteer work bees throughout the season.
- Planning and delivering educational hands-on workshops and programs with the public, community groups, and schools that enhance understanding of food production, preservation/harvesting techniques, and seed saving.
- Development and maintenance of the garden as needed, including the garden expansion and irrigation system installation scheduled for 2022.
- Maintaining clear and consistent communication with the public, volunteers, staff and contractors regarding all major garden activities.
KIMBERLEY FARMERS’ MARKET
Assist the Market Coordinator with implementing this successful and important addition to the economic, social and cultural fabric of Kimberley by:
- Coordinating with market vendors and downtown Kimberley businesses
- Assisting with market promotions and operations
- Delivering the Kimberley Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program by aiding in vendor relations and reimbursements related to the program.
- Representing Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook at the weekly outreach booth by educating patrons about the organization and projects.
Assist the Sustainability Coordinator with implementing this project by:
- Coordinating with backyard owners, project volunteers and partner organizations.
- Development and maintenance of the gardens, including raised bed preparation, gardening, and harvesting.
- Delivering harvested produce to the Kimberley Food Recovery Depot or other suitable destinations.
- Providing clear communication of planned activities with the participating homeowners.
- Assist with additional Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook projects as needed such as administration, coordination of tasks, maintenance, volunteer support, and communications.
- Work with the Branch Manager and key Board Members in identifying areas in need of focus for future years. Which may include creating and implementing a self directed project along with mentorship opportunities.