Are you a passionate nature enthusiast who loves working with kids? Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook is looking to hire a Camp Leader to work at our Camp Odyssey day camp that runs in Kimberley and Cranbrook. Candidates should have extensive experience working with children and youth aged 5-12, experience working outdoors with environmental programming, and be available for up to 5 weeks from June 27 through August 26, 2022.
We want to hear from you by 9 am on Wednesday, April 20, 2022. Read on to find out why we are hiring.
The Camp Leader will become part of the Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook team as a contractor, working under the supervision of the Camp Odyssey Program Coordinator. The Camp Leader will plan and lead each week’s varied activities with an environmental education focus, while ensuring a safe and responsible nature experience for all campers. More specifically the Camp Leader will:
- Plan weekly activities focused on environmental education, outdoor games and hiking.
- Be the lead instructor in the field.
- Supervise children aged 5-12 in varied outdoor locations, including the Kimberley Nature Park and Cranbrook Community Forest.
- Be aware of and uphold all Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook and Camp Odyssey safety protocols including applicable COVID-19 procedures.
- Attend training with the Camp Odyssey Program Coordinator.
- Assist in evaluating and reporting of camp activities.
- Maintain program equipment in good working condition.
- Supervise the Camp Assistant.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Experience working with children and youth aged 5-12.
- Experience delivering outdoor/environmental programming.
- Comfortable leading groups in natural forested areas.
- Physically able to hike 6-10km carrying a load and/or pulling a wagon.
- Physically able to visually and audibly identify and respond to environmental hazards.
- First Aid/CPR certified.
- Provide a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle for some tasks.
- Able to work for the duration of the contract.
About Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook:
Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook empowers environmentally responsible citizenry and strives to support a conscious local economy. We aim to provide consistent and ongoing leadership by engaging and listening to the concerns of the community, then responding with care, insight and innovation.
Our non-profit focuses on initiatives that support environmental conservation, education and regeneration. Working closely with the communities of Kimberley and Cranbrook, we aim to inspire positive relationships with the environment. As a branch of Wildsight, we protect biodiversity and encourage sustainable communities.