Are you great at taking on diverse roles? Would you excel at coordinating the Kimberley Farmers’ Market, Apple Capture Project, and building new and exciting projects in the Kimberley Cranbrook area? Perhaps your passion is linked to sustainability in our communities? The Wildsight Kimberley/Cranbrook branch is currently seeking a dynamic and organized individual who is willing to take the reins and make our local branch shine!
The Sustainability Coordinator is responsible for the successful operation of the Kimberley Farmers’ Market as well as the Apple Capture Project. This position encourages creativity in identifying and building new projects based on sustainability needs within the community.
This is a part-time permanent contract position, based from a home office and/or situated in our 1650 Warren office space. The 2020/21 contract is based on 510 hours, with the majority taking place between June and October at average 20 hours per week. It is expected that the Coordinator will be on site at all Thursday Markets and other hours are flexible, to accomplish the tasks as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
KIMBERLEY FARMERS’ MARKET
1. Operations Management – Coordinates and oversees the operations of the market – currently operating from late June to late September.
- Work independently and manage a team of staff and volunteers.
- Pre-season plan, oversee event requirements and post season wrap up.
- Interface with the public and vendors.
- Resolve conflicts or problems that may arise,
- Collect, control and document vending fees,
- Manage the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program through reimbursements, reconciliation, and weekly reporting.
2. Vendor Relations – Develops and manages relationships with vendors.
- Establish office hours to ensure timely communications.
- Monitor vendor operations and ensure compliance to Market Rules, Interior Health Guidelines, BC Liquor Licensing, and other applicable guidelines.
- Recruit vendors as needed, monitoring quality of products and presentation.
- Orientate new vendors and offer support/communication to help ensure success.
3. Market Customer Relations – Interacts with the public at the markets.
- Monitor and ensure the market’s attractiveness, safety, and appeal.
- Develop recommendations to enhance the market and promote the event.
- Model collaborative and respectful communications and relationships.
APPLE CAPTURE PROJECT
1. Project Management in Kimberley and Cranbrook – Coordinates and oversees all aspects of the project.
- Work independently and as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
- Plan and attend community outreach events as necessary to promote the program.
- Plan and attend pick and press events to pick and process local tree fruit.
- Ensure processed tree fruit waste is directed to local livestock, secure compost systems, or transfer stations to decrease wildlife attractants associated with the project.
- Regularly communicate with the Apple Capture Educator to ensure tree fruit needs, equipment needs and tree fruit waste needs are being met.
2. Systems Management – Ensuring project equipment and platforms function properly, is updated regularly and is in good working order.
- Coordinate regular equipment checks and maintain as needed.
- Update and replace published materials when needed.
- Ensure booking system and tree share lists are functioning properly.
1. Volunteer Management – Working with existing volunteers, recruits when necessary and provides initial training and ongoing direction/training.
2. Promotions – Oversees all advertising and promotion through traditional and social media, including paid ads, news releases, posters, website/social media, signage, banners, etc.
3. Project Management – Responsible for planning, financials, committees, and stakeholder relationships.
- Liaise with Branch Manager in development of business plans and work priorities. Informs the Board of Directors regarding project status and progress toward goals.
- Liaise with the Branch Manager/Treasurer in annual budget development. Monitors and controls the budget, manages resources within constraints, long-range business plans and ensures compliance with financial controls.
- Work with subcommittees as needed (Policy, marketing, finance, vendor selection).
- Liaise with different stakeholders (City of Kimberley, Interior Health Authority, Businesses, Chamber of Commerce, BC Farmers’ Market Association, Bellies to Babies, Wildsafe BC, Kimberley Food Recovery, Cranbrook Food Recovery, Food Bank)
- Report to granting agencies and apply for necessary funds.
- Provide annual report with statistics, successes/challenges, & recommendations.
4. Other – Involved in planning and implementing new projects with Wildsight Kimberley Cranbrook as identified and needed. Providing growth of the position and potential for more hours associated with the contract year-to-year.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Understanding of Wildsight organization mission and mandate
- Passion for local food/community sustainability and farmers’ markets.
- Incredible self-motivation, organization, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- A strong ability to develop team relationships with staff, contractors and volunteers.
- Proficient computer and social media/marketing skills.
- A strong community connection.
- Post-Secondary education and/or relevant experience in a related field such as Sustainable Food Systems, Business/Marketing, Environmental Sciences, Event Planning, and Management.
- Experience in personnel management, budgeting, operations management, working with multiple stakeholder groups/public, and experience in retail and/or other customer service.
- Experience running, vending, or volunteering at farmers’ markets.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 certification or commitment to certify,
- Food Safe Certification or commitment to certify,
- Access to a computer and internet,
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle capable of transporting equipment & fruit.
- Availability to work every Thursday during Kimberley Farmers’ Market season,
- Availability to work evenings and weekends.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Andrea Chapman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be closed when the suitable candidate is found. Only those candidates invited to an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their time and interest.
Photo Credit: Dean Chatterson