Wildsight is looking for a creative, collaborative, passionate and productive Communications Specialist to join our team. This is a 1.0 FTE position that comes with five weeks vacation and a Private Health Services Plan (PHSP).
Location: Kimberley, BC
Salary: $50,392 – $56,584 depending on experience
Closing date: October 31, 2019
Wildsight’s vision is to inspire a shared community desire to protect our natural world for future generations. We envision extensive and connected wild spaces for wildlife—from grizzly bears to woodpeckers to trout. We envision clean and clear water running from mountain watersheds to our lakes. We see thriving and sustainable communities made up of engaged and educated citizens.
Wildsight’s approach is unique. We not only work to shape and influence land-use decisions, but we guide practice and steward change on the ground. We work with industry, scientists and all levels of government, including First Nations. We partner with other local, provincial, national and international conservation organizations to achieve our goals.
At our heart, we are a grassroots organization, harnessing our power from the people whose lives affect and are affected by our work. We strive to inspire a conservation ethic in our children and in our communities so that the future leaders of tomorrow will be equipped to deal with the challenges of sustainability.
About the Position
The Communications Specialist will be an exceptional writer and strategic thinker, developing and executing our strategic communications plan to help accomplish our goals. The Communications Specialist will have a proven ability to write for different audiences in order to connect with our supporters and donors, creating engaging content across channels. The successful applicant will understand the importance of measuring success using various metrics.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Developing and carrying out our strategic communications plan, measuring and reporting on its success
- Working collaboratively with campaign staff to develop and implement campaign strategy
- Managing the Communications budget
- Developing media relationships, pitching stories and writing press releases, editorials and opinion pieces
- Media monitoring and tracking, both print and digital
- Leading and carrying out our social media strategy, both paid and organic, innovating new ways to connect with new audiences and influencers
- Developing fresh content for the website that supports our conservation and education goals
- Writing & editing the monthly eNewsletter (reaching an audience of over 15,000 contacts) as well as timely advocacy messages to encourage supporters to send messages to government as they arise
- Supporting Wildsight’s five local branches in their communications efforts including newsletters, website, etc.
- Writing donor-centric copy for fundraising appeals including direct mail and email campaigns, designing and carrying out donor communications that reflect the donor’s values and priorities, and donor stewardship and cultivation activities such as thank you calls and cards
- Assisting program staff in creating presentations and speeches as needed
- Leading the design and creation of marketing assets such as trade show banners, brochures, rack cards, tote bags, stickers, patches, posters, etc.
- Ensuring Wildsight’s graphic standards are met
What you bring:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field
- Demonstrated ability to write clean and clear prose in different voices for a variety of audiences
- A keen eye for editing and passion for storytelling
- Self-motivated and independent with a demonstrated ability to collaborate well within a team
- Social media experience and expertise for business or non-profit
- Understanding of philanthropy as an important part of our work and desire to continually learn by testing, measuring and adapting
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take and incorporate feedback
- Experience with a CMS platform such as WordPress
- Commitment to Wildsight’s mission
It would be great if you had:
- Knowledge of of environmental issues in British Columbia, specifically in the Kootenay region
- Experience in the non-profit or advocacy sector
- Experience working with a CRM database
- Proficiency using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Fundraising experience including major gifts and monthly giving programs
Applicants are asked to send a cover letter, CV and maximum two-page writing sample in one PDF to email@example.com by October 31st. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.